Election of a new Provost
The Fellows of King’s College intend to elect a Provost, in succession to Professor Michael Proctor, during the autumn of 2022. We hope that the new Provost will take office in October 2023. King’s prides itself on its innovative and inclusive ethos, its educational commitment, its prestigious intellectual profile and its outward-looking perspectives. This is an important moment in the history of education, academic research and the College itself, and we seek a Provost keen to participate as the College engages with these exciting challenges.
The Provost is the head of the College, and provides leadership by supporting and enabling the life and work of its students, fellows, affiliated members and staff. This is a crucially important role, but one that can be performed in many different ways, depending on the skills and interests of the incumbent. The College is looking for an individual who will further some or all of the following priorities:
- Have a strong intellectual, academic and/or professional profile in their chosen field
- Further the educational, academic and cultural mission of the College by supporting teaching and research
- Support the work and life of the College as a community, and engage with students, staff and fellows
- Carry forward and develop the inclusive and egalitarian ethos of the College, and provide an outward and forward-looking vision
- Fundraise as part of our Development strategy
- Contribute to, and ideally shape, the national debate on higher education
- Collaborate and, where appropriate, provide leadership, both within and beyond the University
The College has appointed a committee to oversee the election of the new Provost and produce a shortlist of candidates. The process will afford opportunities for selected candidates to discuss their vision for the role and what they would bring to it with members of the election committee and, if shortlisted, the College fellowship. The College will also be happy to discuss the time commitment required, although it is envisaged that the position would be more than half-time.
Further Particulars for the post can be found below. Any other enquiries can be sent to the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those interested in the position are invited to send a short expression of their interest, along with their CV (maximum three pages), by 31 August 2022, to the committee’s administrator at email@example.com or by letter to Eve Simkiss, Administrator for the Provost Election Committee, King’s College, Cambridge CB2 1ST.
In the course of September or early October, subgroups of the committee will meet a selection of candidates online for discussion. Shortlisting will follow this. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to submit more formal applications and to meet the College as a whole in late October or early to mid-November. All shortlisted candidates will be subject to external vetting. We hope to make an election by early December.