Graduation Ceremonies

Graduation 2017 (photo credit James Linsell-Clark)
Graduation Arrangements During the Coronavirus Outbreak

Graduation ceremonies have been postponed for the rest of the academic year. 

For undergraduate students, there will be no graduation ceremony in June 2020. The University will notify us as to how graduation arrangements will be organised and when we have that information we will be in touch with our third and fourth year students.

Graduate students who are already in a position to graduate, or very shortly will be, and were proposing to do so in April or May, can be put forward to graduate in absentia only on Saturday 16 May. If you would prefer to wait and graduate in person then you are very welcome to do so but this will not be possible until the next academic year, and when the University has notified us that graduation ceremonies are being resumed. There is no deadline for you to collect your degree but please remember that your degree is not conferred upon you until you have graduated, either in person or in absentia, so please do bear this in mind for a job application for example. If you would like graduate in absentia in May then please email the Praelector's secretary by Friday 1 May. If you graduate in absentia you cannot attend a graduation ceremony at the Senate House at a later date. However, we very much hope to be able to welcome you back to a future graduation lunch as circumstances permit.

Degree Certificates

The Student Registry are not in a position to produce certificates at the moment due to the fact that most university staff are working from home.  Students do have access to an online copy of their official transcript once their degree has been awarded.  Students share this copy through a digital wallet with any prospective employers or other HEI etc;


Congratulations on completing your degree requirements! Before the degree itself can be awarded, however, you need to go through the process of graduation. These pages will help explain that process; we have also compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you. If you can’t find the answer to your query then please contact the Praelector’s Secretary, Victoria Zeitlyn, on 01223 331236 or

The College Praelector is Professor Nicholas Marston. He is responsible for presenting graduands at Congregations of the Regent House for the conferment of degrees; these ceremonies take place in the Senate House, and reach back many centuries. Graduands are presented individually by the Praelector to the Vice-Chancellor or his Deputy in the presence of the Proctors, who are the elected representatives of the Regent House. After the Vice-Chancellor has conferred your degree you will be presented with your degree certificate.

We very much hope that you will wish to take your degree in person. If that isn’t possible, you can proceed in absentia (in absence): your name will be included in the list of those graduating and your certificate sent on after the ceremony.

The University provides a detailed description of the ceremony. You can find the link to the relevant page in the links section at the foot of this page.


Eligibility to Graduate

In order to graduate, you must meet the eligibility criteria for the degree to which you wish to proceed. These may include residence requirements, examination results and approval from the Student Registry in the case of postgraduate qualifications. Full details of eligibility requirements for all degrees are listed in the University's Ordinances.

Please note that any student who expects to have outstanding debts at the point of graduation MUST meet with their tutor to discuss repayment before they are put forward to receive their degree. Failure to do so will result in the College being unable to put you forward for graduation.

    Degree Congregations in 2020

    • Saturday 25 April, 11am - POSTPONED

    • Saturday 16 May, 10am - POSTPONED.  Accepting in absentia applications only - email for further details

    • Wednesday 24 June - POSTPONED. Further details will follow when known

    • Friday 17 July, 10am - POSTPONED

    • Saturday 24 October, 11am.  Application deadline Monday 28 September

    • Saturday 28 November (in absentia only).  Application deadline Saturday 7 November



    Degree Congregations in 2021

    • Saturday, 30 January, 2pm
    • Saturday, 27 February, 2pm
    • Saturday, 27 March, 11am
    • Saturday, 10 April, 11am
    • Saturday, 1 May, 11am
    • Saturday, 22 May, 10am
    • Wednesday, 30 June, 10am
    • Friday, 23 July, 10am


    Entering the Senate House

    Undergraduates usually proceed to the B. A. degree, their first degree in most cases, as soon as they are qualified to do so. However, if a student is intending to be a candidate for the M. Eng, M. Math. or M. Sci. degree they must defer taking the B. A. until the end of their fourth year.

    In the case of undergraduates, the majority will graduate at General Admission which is held at the end of June each year. This is our main undergraduate Congregation and only M. Eng, M. Math, M. Sci, B. A. and B. Th degrees are conferred on this occasion.

    A ‘save the date’ email will be sent to all undergraduates in October with all details and the timetable for the two days of ceremony. The Praelector’s Secretary will send you an application form in March which will allow you to state your preferences.

    General Admission

    This is a two-day celebration for our undergraduates which takes place at the end of June. Full details, including a timetable, are sent out to all undergraduates well in advance of the occasion. In brief, the programme follows the same lines each year: there is a dress rehearsal during Tuesday lunchtime, followed by a group photograph. You and your family and friends are invited to attend Evensong that same afternoon. The graduation dinner is held in Hall and you may obtain tickets for yourself (free of charge) and up to a maximum of two guests (for whom there will be a charge).

    The next day (Wednesday), after the option to attend breakfast in College, you meet your cohort to process through the College and on to the Senate House where the degree ceremony takes place. Each graduand may request up to three tickets for guests who wish to attend the ceremony. Afterwards the Provost and Fellows give a lunch party in College for you and up to three guests; there is no charge for this celebration of your undergraduate residence at King’s; once you leave the College later in the afternoon you become a Non-Resident Member (NRM) unless you are returning for further study.


    MA Procession 2019 (photo credit Martin Bond)

    Graduates, once they have received their letter of approval from the Board of Graduate Studies, can apply to graduate at any of the smaller Congregations held throughout the year. You cannot take your degree until you have received that formal approval, although you can ask to be provisionally added to a Congregation and withdrawn if your approval does not come though before the final deadline.

    The University’s degree approval and conferment page can be accessed below.

    Dress Code

    Dress regulations for the ceremony are very strict and must be adhered to exactly; the overall effect must be formal and tidy. If you are inappropriately dressed, the Proctors may refuse to allow your degree to be conferred in person, thus leading to your exclusion from the Congregation. Whilst we will send you a detailed dress code nearer the time, along with details of where to hire your gown, you may wish to consult the University guidelines as well as their useful pictorial diagrams on how to wear your gown and which gown should be worn. There is no need to purchase a gown; we will supply the details of local hire shops nearer the time.

    There are links for the University Academical Dress page and the Graduate Union's Gown Guide below.


    If you are graduating in person then you will be required to attend a brief rehearsal prior to the ceremony. The Praelector will guide you through the intricacies of robing and the details of the ceremony. Full details will be sent to you prior to the ceremony. 

    Praelector’s Luncheons

    If you are receiving your degree in person, then the Praelector would be delighted if you would join him for lunch as guest of the College. You may bring up to three guests (for whom there will be a charge). Further details are available from the Praelector’s Secretary.

    How to register for a Congregation

    You apply by completing an application form (see link in FAQ section of this page) and emailing it to the Praelector’s Secretary. Please note the deadlines listed above. We cannot take applications after the closing date but we can withdraw your application in the case of your results not being received in time, or change your attendance to in absentia.

    M.A. Graduation

    Six years and one term after matriculating, a Bachelor of Arts is entitled to take his or her Master of Arts degree, either in person or in absence, provided that two years have elapsed since the B. A. degree was awarded. The M. A. degree denotes a person's standing in the University, and gives admission to membership of the Senate; it does not depend upon further study, or residence, or payment of a fee.

    From January 2020 those who matriculated in October 2013 and took their B. A. prior to December 2017 will be eligible. The main M. A. Congregation is held in March; the Praelector’s Secretary will contact the newly eligible graduates during the preceding December, inviting them to submit their application.

    Any eligible graduate of King’s who has not yet received their M. A. may graduate in person or in absence at any of the smaller Congregations throughout the year. Please contact the Praelector’s Secretary for further details.

    Graduation FAQs

    Please read the FAQs below for more information about applying for graduation and what to expect on the day itself.
    Return to the Graduate Study homepage where you can find more information about applying to King's and life at the College.
    Find out more about the application process for graduate students, and about visiting King's before making your choice of College.
    Find King's graduates in your area, make connections with alumni in your industry, and find out about our Entrepreneurship Competition.
    Stay connected with the College by updating your details and getting in contact with long-lost contemporaries.

    Recent News

    Statement from the Heads of Cambridge Colleges

    A joint statement in response to claims that Cambridge will be moving entirely online next year.

    An appraisal of teaching in Easter Term

    Professor Robin Osborne discusses some of the advantages and drawbacks of conducting supervisions online

    Quantedge Foundation launches scholarship for refugee students

    A new scholarship from the Quantedge Foundation will offer refugee students the opportunity to study for an MPhil at King's.