Home » Study at King's » Undergraduate Study » Fees and Finance » Undergraduate Financial Support

Undergraduate Financial Support

Undergraduate students at King's have access to numerous sources of financial support. Some awards are available only to students with a home fees status, others to students with an overseas fees status. Both the College and the University are committed to the principle that no qualified UK applicant should be deterred from studying at Cambridge by financial circumstances. There is also a small number of means-tested support for outstanding students from overseas.



Students from the UK

UK students are entitled to a governmental loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. This is not means-tested. You can take out a government loan and defer payment until after you've left university and are earning a specified minimum salary.

UK students are also entitled to a governmental loan to cover living costs whilst at University. Again, you can take out a government loan and defer payment until after you've left university and are earning a specified minimum salary.

You may also be entitled to the means-tested Cambridge Bursary. The Cambridge Bursary is designed to ensure that home students studying for a first degree can meet the cost of their Cambridge education, regardless of background. You do not have to repay a Cambridge Bursary.


Students from outside the UK

Whilst students from outside of the UK are not eligible for loans from the UK government, there are a small number of scholarships/studentships that they can apply for if they meet the eligibility criteria.

The Cambridge Trust offers up to 40 part-cost awards of £10,000-15,000 per year and up to 5 means-tested full-fees awards.  At King’s we also offer a small number of studentships to help support fees and maintenance costs for the duration of a student's course. The scale of these awards is variable but, as with the Cambridge Trust studentships, the criteria for eligibility is based on both academic excellence as well as on financial need.

Financial Support for International Students (University Website)

Other Forms of Support

Any current student at King’s who is experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties can apply for a College hardship (“student support”) fund. Applications are made through the Tutorial Office. This is usually done in consultation with your Tutor, who will then make a recommendation of what support might be available.

The College also offers generous support for foreign travel during the vacations as well as a number of competitive prizes. College prizes include the Rylands Art Prize, the James Essay Prize, the Derek Cornwell Scholarships for musical instrumentalists, the Tilley Translation Prize, the Susie Gautier-Smith Prize for drama, and the John Rose Prize for the best explanation of a scientific principle.

UK students with a disability may be eligible for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), and are encouraged to contact the Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC).

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs): What's available & how to apply - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Accessibility and disability services | University of Cambridge


Fees and Finance

King's collects the same tuition fees, on behalf of the University, as other Cambridge colleges...

King's International Studentships

King's offers a small number of competitive studentships open to candidates from overseas. All awards...

Applying with a Disability, SpLD or Long-Term Health Condition

The College is keen to support students with a disability, Specific Learning Difficulty (such as...

UK Care Experienced Students

We hope that students in care or who have previously been in care will think...

Recent News


Four students recognised with the Provost’s Prize

The Provost's Prize has been awarded to one graduate and three undergraduate students who...


Susan Tomes Music Prize awarded to four students

The annual prize has been awarded to four students whose music-making has had a positive...


H E Durham Fund 2024

Small grants made for the purpose of advancing, improving, or disseminating knowledge of human or...

Follow us on Instagram

View more