When answering these questions, consider what additional sources you would use to explore the subject more thoroughly, and where you might find them.
- How did Rupert Brooke feel about Grantchester?
- Is Orwell’s criticism of Rupert Brooke’s poem ‘The Old Vicarage, Grantchester’ fair? Does the poem provide a vivid description of Cambridgeshire or is it the result of homesickness and sentimentality?
- Can a poem be a historically ‘valuable document’? If so, does it need to be read in context?
- Where do you think Rupert Brooke would have wanted his memorial?
The following question will require you to use additional sources, either online or in a library.
- Reflect on poets and their sense of place, drawing comparisons with other poets if possible. Do poets describe places in relation to their own experiences?