Financial support

Applicants from the European Union

The University has published this statement about the UK voting to leave the European Union.

Undergraduate students at King's have access to numerous sources of financial support. Eligibility for support is determined by country of residence. Some awards are available only to UK and EU students, others to overseas students.

Both Cambridge and King's College are committed to the principle that no qualified UK applicant should be deterred from studying at Cambridge by financial circumstances. We also offer means-tested support to outstanding students from the EU and overseas.

For 2017 entry, for UK students, the government loan towards living costs will be increased up to a maximum of £8,430, and there will be no government grant. Details about the Cambridge Bursary Scheme for 2017 entrants will follow, when available.

For EU undergraduates who demonstrate  financial need and outstanding academic merit, King’s will offer up to ten awards of typically £2,000 p.a. to supplement the Cambridge Bursary such that the total financial support matches that available to UK undergraduates in government loans.

Overseas candidates are eligible to apply for limited financial support from the Cambridge Commonwealth, European and International Trust. King’s offers additional partial overseas studentships of typically £2,000 based on financial need and academic excellence.

See below for further details of all sources of financial support available at King’s.

Government loans for tuition fees (UK and EU students)

  • UK and EU tuition fees will not need to be paid up front. Students will be able to pay their fees through government loans that are repaid after graduation, and only once a graduate earns more than £21,000 per year (the government will decide on equivalent amounts in the local currency for students who work outside of the UK after graduation).
  • Like income tax, repayments will be tied to income, not to interest rates. They will amount to 9% of any income above £21,000, and any outstanding debt will be forgiven after 30 years.
  • You may wish to consult the further details published by the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills. Martin Lewis has produced a very useful set of 20 key facts.

Cambridge Bursaries (UK and EU students)

  • For 2017/18 entry, details will follow, when available.
  • You do not need to repay this bursary.
  • Please see further information on the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website.

Government loans for living costs (Students resident in England only)

  • From 2017 entry, up to £8,430 depending on household income.
  • Repayable like the tuition fee loan.
  • Announced in the 2015 Summer Budget. Please see this summary by Martin Lewis.  Further details will published by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills in due course on the loans page.

King's International Studentships (Students resident in the EU or overseas only)

  • The College offers a range of competitive studentships of typically £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. to support candidates from EU and overseas countries.
  • All awards are based on academic excellence as well as on financial need. Awards will be made to help support fees and maintenance costs for the duration of a student's course.
  • Please refer to further details of the international studentships open to all EU and overseas applicants.

Cambridge Trust Scholarships (Overseas students)

  • The Cambridge Trust provides mainly part-scholarships to undergraduate students at Cambridge who are from outside the European Union.
  • Cambridge Trust website

College hardship fund (all students)

  • Any current student at King's who is experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties can apply to the College's hardship funds. Applications are made through the Tutorial Office. This is done by consultation with your Tutor, who will then make a recommendation of what support might be available.

Other College support (all students)

  • The College offers generous support for foreign travel during the vacations as well as a number of competitive prizes. College prizes include the Rylands Art Prize, the James Essay Prize, the Derek Cornwell Scholarships for musical instrumentalists, the Tilley Translation Prize, the Susie Gautier-Smith Prize for drama, and the John Rose Prize for the best explanation of a scientific principle.

Cambridge disability support (disabled students)

Further information

Finance | Undergraduate study | Back to the top