King's Choral Scholars
If you are a singer of a high standard and you would like to study at King's you may be eligible for a Choral Award. You do not have to study Music: Choral Scholarships can be combined with with any subject taught at King's except Medicine and Architecture.
King's College has two choirs, the male voice King's College Choir and the mixed voice King's Voices. We offer Choral Scholarships for the Choir and Choral Exhibitions for King's Voices.
Of course, your choral duties come in addition to your academic commitments as a student at King's. The college has high academic standards, but we also offer an informal and supportive environment. In balancing their musical and academic activities, singers in both choirs also enjoy an active social life.
How to apply for a Choral Award at King's
All Choral Awards at Cambridge are awarded after candidates have received an academic offer to study at Cambridge. The Cambridge Colleges hold joint choral auditions in March to assess the vocal abilities of applicants for Choral Awards.
King's and St. John's also hold a two-day choral event for their male voice choirs in September, prior to your Cambridge application via UCAS. This event allows us to hear individual voices, and to advise interested candidates about the nature of choral commitments at King's and St. John's. Overnight accommodation is available for those who need it. Each of the two days include an opportunity to meet the Directors of Music of both colleges, to learn about the nature of the choral traditions of both colleges, and to take part in vocal assessment. See the information and booking form in the step-by-step guide below.
A step-by-step guide for applicants
- Read the Study at King's and Choir sections of our website thoroughly.
- 25 and 26 September 2013: Come to the open event for students interested in Choral Scholarships for the male voice choirs at King's or St. John's
- If you would like to apply for a Choral Scholarship to sing in King's College Choir, you are strongly encouraged to attend. Candidates for a Choral Award who would wish to join King's Voices will not need to attend this event.
- Choral Open Event information: PDF format; Word format
- Choral Open Event form: PDF format; Word format
- By 15 October: Apply for an academic place at King's
- Choral candidates follow the normal application procedure set out on the how to apply page.
- On the Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ) there will be a box to tick to express an interest in a Choral Award if you are offered a place. Choral Awards are available for both King's College Choir (male voice choir) and King's Voices (mixed voice choir), and you should tick the relevant box on the SAQ if you are interested in a Choral Award to sing in either one of these choirs.
- Early January: Receive an academic decision from King's
- Students who apply to King's but receive an offer from another college through the Winter Pool may be considered for a Choral Award at other colleges.
- Students who do not receive an academic offer from Cambridge cannot be considered for a Choral Award.
- By 15 February: Submit Choral Award application
- After candidates have received offers in January, King's offer holders will be asked to submit their online Choral Award application form and musical reference by 15 February and are invited for auditions, which we expect to take place in March (exact dates tbc). Further information and the application form will be available on the Cambridge website.
- Students who are offered a place to study at King's but are not successful in gaining a Choral Award at King's will be able to audition for Choral Awards at other colleges. If awarded a Choral Award at another college, the academic offer would normally also be transferred to that college. Candidates who do not get a place in King's College Choir can be considered either for a place in King's Voices or for a place in another college choir.
As a choral applicant you have two main points of contact with King's:
1. The Admissions Office
(Telephone 01223 331255; email: email@example.com)
You should contact the Admissions Office with any questions about your academic application. Do also ensure that you read the 'Study at King's' section of this website carefully.
2. Stephen Cleobury / The Choir Office
(Telephone 01223 331 224; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
If your question requires musical expertise or relates to the September open event, the auditions or life and work as a Choral scholar at King's, then please contact Stephen Cleobury / The Choir Office. Stephen is happy to hear you sing before you audition (this can be arranged to coincide with King's Open Days or any time you visit if you contact the Choir Office). There is further information in the Choir section of this website.
3. Simon Brown / King's Voices
If your question principally relates to Choral Exhibitions and singing in King's Voices, please contact Simon Brown.