A college porter, taken by King's Fellow Rory O'Bryen.

To complement its primary role as a centre of learning, King's is committed to offering the best educational and pastoral support to its students.

  • Directors of Studies. Each undergraduate student has a Director of Studies who oversees their education. As the Director of Studies is a specialist in the subject they can give very specific help and advice whether you want to discuss your paper choices, are struggling with an aspect of the course or want some career information.
  • Tutors. If you're having difficulities of any kind you can book an appointment with a Tutor (a King's fellow) to discuss it. Some of the Tutors have specialisms - e.g the Bursarial Tutor can advise on financial issues, the Graduate Tutor can help graduate students in particular, etc.
  • The Chaplain, The Revd Andrew Hammond, is available to every student, regardless of belief or non-belief. You can talk to him about anything which is concerning you, in complete confidence. He has no involvement in either disciplinary or academic matters, so you can speak freely. His rooms are F6 Gibb’s: the number there is 01223 331418 and his e-mail is . He is available 24/7; and you are welcome to call him on 07884 185207
  • College porters. The porters are around 24/7 and can help you with queries or emergencies at all hours. Students tend to have a good rapport with the porters. The porters are all first-aid trained.
  • College Nurse. The College has its own nurse you can visit for advice and treatment. Students must also register with a local doctor.
  • Counselling service. The University provides a counselling service as well as a number of help-lines and health services. See the counselling service website.
  • Peer support. A number of students on the College unions are available to talk to or to provide specific support for certain issues. These include Welfare and Academic Affairs Officers, Ethnic Minorities, International Students, Womens' Officer, and LGBTQ Officers. See the KCSU website.
  • CUSU. The Cambridge University Students’ Union (CUSU) has its own support officers. You can find out about them and about other useful resources on the CUSU website. The graduate equivalent is the Graduate Union.

For current students of King's there is a Health & wellbeing page on the intranet that lists a host of resources for physical and emotional health.

Life at King's | Back to the top