The first statute of King’s College’s earliest statutes, written in Latin in 1443, states that at least one of the chaplains or chapel clerks must be able to play an organ.
The College’s accounts record the sale of the organ by Provost Goad, in 1570-71. One hundred shillings was paid for the organ (‘pro Organis’), while 45s 10d was paid for the old pipes (‘for thold organ pipes’).
Following Provost Goad’s sale of the organ, Fellows cited the first statute in their objections to the Visitor in 1603:
42. By ye first statute organs are required, but we have them not nowe, but solde those wch we had by our Founder.
(KCV/49, f.64, no. 42.)