|Manors in the records||Link to Janus||Link to the Word catalogue|
|Abington, Barrington, Barton, Cambridge, Chesterton, Coton, Cottenham, Coveney, Denny, Elmdon, Fen Ditton, Fen Drayton, Foxton, Grantchester, Haddenham, Harlton, Hatley, Isleham, Kingston, Little Shelford, Long Stanton, Madingley, Merton Hall, Milton, Pampisford, Shingay, Swaffham Bulbeck, Tadlow and Wimpole.||Part 1: Abingdon to Foxton
Please note: the Microsoft Word version of the catalogue is not kept as up-to-date as the JANUS version.
If you are interested in viewing any of the documents from these estate records, please contact the Archive Centre to arrange an appointment. If are interested in a particular town or village you can also view records by estate name.
Click on an image to enlarge it and start a slideshow:
Alice Druel's Quitclaim, c. 1200
Quitclaim from Alice, wife of Ralph Druel, to Geoffrey de Hedfelt, of lands in Barton. The lady's seal (brown, oval-shaped and inscribed with her name) is attached.
Ref: KCAR/6/2/13/8 BAR/8
Alice Druel's Quitclaim seal.
A lady's seal would be slightly more oval than a man's - 'vessica-shaped', ladies' seals were fairly rare owing to the infrequency with which women were in a position to exchange land or property. In this case, Alice Druel only had possession of the land following the death of her husband, although it was unusual for a wife to be bequeathed more than a life interest in a husband's property.
Deed of covenant between King's and Queen's College relating to the boundary and light and air in the northern end of Queen's new building, 25 March 1913.
Ref: KCAR/6/2/27/11 CAM/150
Lease of property in Cambridge by King's College to Dr William Warde, 1585.
This indenture records the lease of a tenement in St Mary's by King's College to William Warde, Doctor of 'Physicke' for fifty shillings. William Warde’s seal is attached, and the counterpart featuring the College seal would have been kept by him. The document unusually features an initial decorated with an illustration of the King’s College crest.
Sale of land in Chesterton to Mr Thomas Johnson, 1518
This indenture records the sale of 3 messuages and 64 acres of land in Chesterton Manor from King's College to Thomas Johnson of Dry Drayton, a Yeoman. Mr Johnson’s seal is attached, and the counterpart featuring the College seal would have been kept by him.
Ref: KCAR/6/2/35/3 CHS/2
Royal Letters Patent of King Henry VIII, licensing the exchange of property in Nut Lane, Cambridge, between Corpus Christi and King's Colleges, 2 February 1535
Ref: KCAR/6/2/27/2 CAM/49
Counterpart of an indenture of bargain and sale from John Cole to Richard Aungier of certain freehold lands and copyhold lands held by copy of court roll of King's College in Coton, Cambridge, Grantchester, Barton and Whitwell. 20 January 1574.
Ref: KCAR/6/2/42/7 COT/22
- Cambridgeshire County Record Office
- Cambridgeshire Association for Local History
- Cambridgeshire Family History Society
- GENUKI UK and Ireland Genealogy: Cambridgeshire History Societies Listing