Jump to site navigation | Jump to section navigation

The choir through history

King's College Choir in procession, 1901
King's College Choir, under Dr. A.H. Mann, leading the procession to Great St. Mary's Church for the Memorial Service to Queen Victoria. 1901. Given by W.T.K. Braunholtz.

With the exception of one period, when choral services in the Chapel were suppressed by the Puritans, the choir has been singing services continuously for over 500 years, the choir being older than the Chapel as it was established when Henry VI founded the College in 1441. Although the lay clerks have now been replaced by choral scholars, the number of choristers has remained unchanged since the 15th century.

« Origins of the choir | Tours index | Annual choir photograph »