The Restoration of the Organ

Like the King’s College Choir, the Harrison & Harrison organ in the Chapel is famous the world over. Its case with gilded pipework surmounting the 16th century screen is as much a striking feature as the instantly recognisable sounds of the instrument. It fulfils an important role in the religious and musical life of the College and serves as an educational resource – many of today’s leading musicians have held the position of Organ Scholar at King’s.

An organ was first built in the Chapel in 1605 by Thomas Dallam, with successive re-buildings undertaken in the 17th, 19th and beginning of the 20th century. But it wasn’t until 1934 that the organ was enlarged and rebuilt in its present form by Harrison & Harrison, while still retaining some of the old pipework.

In the late 1960s the organ was overhauled, and in 1992 the console was renovated and the electrical system modernised. In 2009 Harrison & Harrison worked on three areas of the instrument: repairing and re-gilding the front pipes, some internal pipework, and upgrading the console. Bigger steps to improve the organ’s mechanism and layout were then recommended, including full cleaning, comprehensive re-leathering of the actions and some significant work on the wind system. After nearly eighty years of service, the Great Organ had become unreliable.

Made possible thanks to several significant donations, a “Great restoration” project took place over a period of nine months in 2016 to ensure that the organ continues to function optimally for the next generation. The pipework was removed from the case and returned to the Harrison & Harrison workshop in Durham for cleaning and repair. Meanwhile, in the Chapel, the empty case was cleaned, surveyed and restored before the pipes were reinstated. Then voicing and tonal regulation begun, and the Great Organ was ready for use at the beginning of the new academic year, with a sound as bright as ever.

 

rs3767_kcc_choir_w8a6097-lpr_square
Your support helps to fund the education of our choristers, as well as supporting the Choir's concerts, tours and recordings.
chapel_square
The Chapel is the spiritual home of the College and a place of untold inspiration for the millions who tune into our radio and television broadcasts.
cleobury_square_for_dom
To mark the outstanding career of Sir Stephen Cleobury, we wish to permanently endow the Director of Music position at King's.

Members and Friends News

fdoc0rcxiaibztt

King's Fellow wins International Studies Association book prize

Mira Siegelberg has been awarded the Francesco Guicciardini Prize for Best Book in Historical International Relations.

geue

King's alumni awarded Leverhulme Prizes

Alumni Dr Tom Geue and Professor Kathryn Stevens have both been awarded Philip Leverhulme Prizes in Classics.

King's undergraduate awarded law scholarship

Undergraduate student Diallo Williams has been awarded a scholarship on the Freshfields Stephen Lawrence Scholarship Scheme. 

Contact Details

Development Office

King's College
King's Parade
Cambridge CB2 1ST

Tel: (+44) (0)1223 331313
Fax: (+44) (0)1223 331347

Email: members@kings.cam.ac.uk