Would voting online increase youth participation? Image credit: Martin Bamford
Today is polling day in the United Kingdom General Election 2015.
How old should you be to vote? 18, as in UK General Elections, or 16, as in the Scottish Independence Referendum?
- Parliamentary briefing paper on voting age, Commons Library Standard Note 01747, 27 January 2015
- Electoral Commission, Report on the Scottish Independence Referendum, December 2014
- Democratic Audit UK, Should the UK Lower the Voting Age to 16? July 2014
- Campaign to lower the voting age: Votes at 16
Younger people remain less likely to vote than older people. Does it matter? How can youth political participation be boosted? Should we even try?
- Demos research publication, 'Tune In, Turn Out,' 29 December 2014
- Episode 12 of ELECTION, the Cambridge Politics Podcast, interviews first time student voters about their attitudes to voting
- Campaigns to boost youth political participation: