Tony Blair in Davos in 2009. Credit: World Economic Forum
Twenty years ago today Tony Blair was elected leader of the Labour Party.
Key figures and commentators from the Blair years have been reflecting on Blair's legacy in the newspapers:
- John McTernan, 'Tony Blair: his legacy will be debated but not forgotten,' Telegraph, 20 July 2014
- John Rentoul, 'Two decades on, what is Tony Blair's legacy worth,' Independent, 20 July 2014
- Michael White, 'Twenty Years of Tony Blair: totting up the balance sheet,' Guardian, 21 July 2014
You could follow up on these assessments by reading more about Tony Blair in his own words...
- Tony Blair, The Journey (London: Hutchinson, 2010)
... and in the view of academics:
- Blair's Britain, 1997 - 2007, ed. by Anthony Seldon (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007)
How have assessments of Tony Blair's leadership and legacy changed over the course of the past twenty years and why?