King's Art Centre
The King's Art Centre was established in the 1970s. It is on 'A' staircase, which is the first door on the left as you enter the Front Court. Exhibitions at the centre are open to the public 11am to 5pm daily.
The centre consists of a gallery and studio where art lessons are held, plus a "messy room" for paint and other techniques. The studios are freely available for members of College to use.
Classes and studio time
- Wednesday evenings, 8pm - 10pm, King's Life Drawing Group
- Thursday evenings, 8pm - 10pm, Graduate Society Life Drawing Group (continues throughout the year)
- Saturday 10-6pm Supervised Studio Time. Advice and tuition will be available to anyone who wants to work on a specific project and develop their own ideas.
- Saturday 10am-12noon Drawing Class. This will focus on improving your drawing skills using experimental techniques.
- Saturday 2-4pm Mixed Media Art Class. Tuition in a variety of art forms based on an artist or theme.
All classes and studio time will be available during Full Term and the first four weeks of Easter Full Term. There will be limited spaces so please register your interest by emailing the Art Co-ordinator, Natalie McIntyre (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Decorations, props and scenery
The Art Centre is a helpful resource for students involved in King's plays and events. Students use the facilities to make decorations, scenery and props.
For the King's Affair, an annual large all-night party in the summer, the College needs to be transformed for the chosen theme. In 2012 the King's Affair committee hosted ContAnimation: 'our treasured childhood favourites are bursting from the walls in a deliriously decadent, awfully animated, crazily cartoonified dystopia'. As you can imagine, the Art Centre was a busy place just before the event!
Rylands Art Prize: part of a winning entry by Josh Bristow. Larger image
Rylands Art Prize
The Rylands Art Prize is an annual competition in memory of Dr G.H.W Rylands, a former fellow of the College. Students and College staff can enter works of visual art in any medium.